Addiction Treatment for College Students
Almost one-quarter of all college students meet the criteria for drug or alcohol dependence or abuse. Beginning college can be an overwhelming experience leading to anxiety due to academic and social pressure. Drinking alcohol and using drugs often becomes part of the college experience. As a result, binge drinking and drug use episodes are frequent on college campuses. These routine experiences can quickly manifest into an addiction for unsuspecting students. However, with early intervention, students can seek help with minimal college education interference through addiction treatment.
The Importance of Addiction Treatment for College Students
At Lighthouse Recovery Institute, our team of addiction specialists recognizes that there is a dire need for addiction treatment programs in Florida for students who are ready to turn their lives around. College is the often the first time that young adults are away from home for the first time. There is less monitoring of behaviors and easier for students to hide their addiction. We understand that the earlier they get help, the better. Our high-quality, comprehensive addiction treatment for college students in Boynton Beach, FL, gives young people the tools they need to leave addiction behind. If you or someone you care about is interested in a Florida rehab for college students, reach out to Lighthouse Recovery Institute today by calling 866.236.5961 or completing our online form for more information about addiction treatment for students.
Substance Use and Mental Health on College Campuses
Experimentation with drugs is commonplace during college.
Some of the most common drugs of choice on college campuses include:
In the United States, estimates say that close to forty-nine percent of full-time college students drink and abuse drugs, including illicit drugs and prescription drugs. In addition, about 9.9% of college students ages eighteen to twenty-two drank alcohol for the first time in college.
Additionally, fraternities and sororities provide an atmosphere that promotes drinking as acceptable for many young adults on college campuses. The result is that many individuals can struggle with addiction, and their education soon becomes impacted. Our Florida rehab for college students offers various options for students seeking counseling and support with their drug or alcohol addiction.
Signs of Addiction Among College Students
For a parent with a child in college, identifying the signs of drug abuse can be challenging. Even for friends of those in college, separating the “party scene” from an addiction can be difficult. With drug abuse becoming more and more popular among college students, many are high-functioning addicts, recognizing an addiction can be challenging.
Some warning signs of addiction to look for include:
- Sudden decline in academic performance
- Drastic changes in weight
- Violent outbursts
- Traffic accidents
- Legal or financial problems
- Risky behavior
- Skipping classes
- Excessive sleepiness
- Decreased focus and forgetfulness
- Lack of motivation
Addiction Treatment Options for College Students
Generally, if a student’s drug or alcohol use is severe, medical treatment is recommended. Addiction treatment for students frequently begins with detox services to help monitor any withdrawal symptoms and cravings. After completing a medical detox, the next step is admission into a drug rehab center specializing in assisting students with resuming coursework.
Drug rehab does not mean students must give up achieving a higher education. On the contrary, having goals and pursuing them can be esteem building when used in conjunction with support from our drug rehab. Thus, addicted students find the balance of the demands of seeking higher education with the challenges of early recovery.
As a result, students have flexible scheduling and case management services at Lighthouse Recovery Institute. In addition, for college-enrolled students or patients seeking to finish their education, we offer a dynamic substance abuse program to support individuals at every stage of their education and career development.
Addiction treatment options for college students at Lighthouse Recovery Institute include:
- Medical detox – Admitting into a medical detox program is often the first step in the right direction. Medical detox is the foundation to build the rest of your recovery program and helps patients overcome painful withdrawal symptoms.
- Dual diagnosis – Dual diagnosis treatment programs at Lighthouse Recovery Institute are appropriate for individuals struggling with co-occurring disorders. Thus, these programs incorporate evidence-based psychological and psychiatric therapies to provide addiction evidence-based treatment services for mental health and co-occurring disorders.
- Inpatient rehab – Our residential treatment program offers a safe and encouraging environment to start recovery, and the programming consists of several hours of group therapy and individual therapy.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP) – A standard intensive outpatient treatment program requires individuals to have at least nine therapy hours each week and includes several hours of group therapy and one hour of individual therapy.
- Outpatient treatment – Outpatient drug rehab programs provide weekly continuing care ranging from one to five days per week. In particular, individual sessions meet the individual where they are at regarding their current level of functioning in recovery.
- Aftercare program – Aftercare treatment gives people the skills and tools to thrive in recovery and their life in recovery. It extends the structure of drug addiction treatment and offers patients access to support groups to help them transition back into everyday life.
Regain Control of Your Life with Addiction Treatment for Students at Lighthouse Recovery Institute
At Lighthouse Recovery Institute, we want our patients to feel comfortable in their environment to remain focused on what is truly important, their recovery. Our addiction treatment for college students is specifically designed for the unique needs of young adults. We’re here to answer any questions you might have about young adult rehab, so don’t hesitate to reach out to Lighthouse Recovery Institute online or at 866.236.5961.