Addiction affects the entire family system, including parents, siblings, children, spouses, and friends. For these close family members, the impact of substance use is tremendous and frequently results in damaged relationships. This is why family therapy and family-focused drug and alcohol rehab programs are vital to all communities.
At Lighthouse Recovery Institute, family therapy is one of the fundamental components of our addiction treatment programs. Having a multi-faceted approach to treat substance use disorder, including focusing on the family system, is one of the many reasons our team is helping families heal. If you or a loved one is ready to repair family bonds while in our addiction therapy programs in Florida, contact our team today by calling 866.308.2090 or filling out our convenient online form.
Types of Family Therapy Programs
Family counseling for addiction uses best practices and evidence-based treatment modalities. However, due to the range of sources, family therapies for substance use could differ based on the family therapist’s specific model for the particular family system.
Each of our Lighthouse Recovery Institute programs will integrate family therapy and incorporate the family at different levels to best fit the individual’s needs and the family’s goals.
Some of the types of family therapy our team uses include:
- Marriage and family therapy (MFT) – Marriage and family therapy is a form of talk therapy that addresses all family members’ behaviors and the impact on the entire family unit.
- Solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT) – This form of therapy emphasizes a person’s current and future conditions and goals rather than past experiences.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – CBT is a short-term form of behavioral treatment that reveals the relationship between beliefs, thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Family system therapy – Family system therapy assists patients in resolving their problems in the context of their family unit.
- Strategic family therapy – There are five stages to strategic treatment, which are a brief social stage, the problem stage, the interactional stage, the goal-setting stage, and the task-setting stage.
Addiction Treatment and Family Therapy
Active participation in family therapy during addiction treatment reduces the recidivism rate of substance use post-treatment. At Lighthouse Recovery Institute, family members and loved ones are offered therapy sessions with patients, as well as access to our family liaison, who assists with managing the full range of emotions that come alongside loving someone in active addiction and early recovery.
In addition to support and communication from clinical staff, family members gain insight into developing healthy boundaries, developing practical solutions, and supporting a solid aftercare plan. Through this family therapy program, as the patient rebuilds, the family starts to mend alongside them.
Impacts on the Family
Based on our individualized addiction treatment philosophy at Lighthouse Recovery Institute, we support a wide range of treatment options for patients and their families. Each therapist will work with the family unit as a complete system and individually to create a plan based on the family dynamics. The treatment model for each family depends on the patient’s age and the gravity of the problems at hand.
At Lighthouse Recovery Institute, we emphasize the family component to empower the parents to take back control in their relationship with the addict and put them on the path to success. The goal is to help the family find the line between enabling and encouraging their child’s recovery process in addiction treatment.
Benefits of a Family Therapy Program
Our Lighthouse Recovery Institute team believes that our family therapy program in Boynton Beach, FL can be extremely beneficial for every family member and not just the person in recovery.
Some of the benefits of family therapy include that families:
- Learn how to communicate effectively with one another
- Set boundaries and get on the same page
- Develop a support system to help the person on their recovery journey
- Gain valuable insight into the root causes of addiction, which can help them improve their own lives as well
- Develop tools and strategies to better manage stress, anxiety, and other risk factors that may contribute to addiction
REBUILD RELATIONSHIPS WITH FAMILY THERAPY AT LIGHTHOUSE RECOVERY INSTITUTE
For those ready to enter drug rehab or alcohol rehab, coming to Lighthouse Recovery Institute can turn lives around. Patients from all over the country have found the calm and peaceful setting that Boynton Beach, Florida, offers to help them during recovery will readily attest to the usefulness of taking the trip.
Our Lighthouse Recovery Institute team provides inpatient and outpatient programs, counseling, therapy, and additional resources to teach sober life skills. Find out more about family therapy or our other programs and services when you call us at 866.308.2090 or complete our online contact form.