By its nature, addiction is an isolating disease. People stuck in the endless cycle of addiction often feel shame about their condition, so they avoid friends and family members and use drugs or alcohol behind closed doors. Unfortunately, these people might not realize that help is available for those ready to overcome addiction and embrace recovery.
At Lighthouse Recovery Institute, our team recognizes that group therapy helps people build bonds with others who share common recovery goals. That’s why our group therapy in Boynton Beach, FL, provides the perfect setting for people in recovery to discuss their victories and struggles. Learn more about how group counseling or our other addiction therapy programs might benefit you or a loved one by calling 866.336.9491 or completing our online form.
What Group Therapy Gives You
There are many ways that group therapy for addiction helps people immerse themselves in recovery. Some of the most common ways that group therapy benefits people include:
- Accountability – Addiction thrives in secrecy and isolation. A group of peers gives patients a chance to process various issues with others who can relate and positively reinforce behavioral changes.
- Support – The ability to relate to others fosters connection, a key element of recovery from drug and alcohol dependence. Group members can receive support from their peers as they navigate issues in recovery.
- Process – Identifying and processing emotions is a skill that serves individuals in their lifetime recovery from substance use disorder. The group dynamic offers a unique platform for developing necessary communication skills.
Tips to Get The Most Out of Group Therapy
One of the hallmarks of active addiction is isolation and loneliness. Addiction thrives without a positive support network that can offer accountability, feedback, and healthy affirmation. For this reason, group therapy is an essential component of effective addiction treatment in drug rehab.
Generally, group therapy sessions consist of as few as three members and up to twelve members. Group therapy in our accredited Florida drug rehab center has proven to be an essential and valuable tool in treating substance use and mental health disorders.
Suggestions from licensed clinicians to get the most out of group therapy include:
- Be vulnerable – Don’t be afraid to share your feelings and experiences.
- Offer feedback – Our therapists are always open to your suggestions.
- Accept feedback – We’re all trying to help each other do better and recover, so accepting feedback plays an essential role.
- Avoid monologues – Group therapy involves interacting with others, so long-winded speeches can disrupt a session.
- Try to participate – Concentrate on group dynamics and be ready to participate.
Addiction Group Therapy Models
Our team provides many models in group therapy at Lighthouse Recovery Institute. Group topics are dynamic and ever-shifting to best meet the needs of the patient community while attending our addiction treatment center. We incorporate small group discussion sessions for most of our treatment programs to make the recovery process feel less isolated.
Some of the specialized group therapies we offer at Lighthouse Recovery Institute include:
- Family therapy – Patients can identify, address, and shift unhealthy behaviors and dynamics, allowing for a greater chance of healing the family unit.
- Music and art therapy – Music and art therapy offers patients a chance to express emotions, process events creatively, and explore new interests.
- Experiential therapy – In this unique model, patients role-play to practice assertive communication, access emotions, and resolve feelings of grief.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – This type of therapy is a short-term form of behavioral treatment that reveals the relationship between beliefs, thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Dialectic behavioral therapy (DBT) – Dialectic behavioral therapy is a common form of evidence-based treatment that helps patients develop four skill sets: mindfulness, emotional regulation, interpersonal effectiveness, and distress tolerance.
Find support and healing in group therapy at lighthouse recovery institute
When you or someone you care about is ready to find a community of supportive people in addiction treatment, reach out to our Lighthouse Recovery Institute team today at 866.336.9491 or fill out our online contact form. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is standing by to answer any questions you may have about group therapy for addiction, so contact us today.