Drug rehab can be expensive, usually ranging in the thousands of dollars for a short-term program. Estimates believe that many people who need substance abuse treatment don’t receive it, citing financial concerns as one of the main reasons. Drug rehab scholarships help to bridge the gap between what people can afford and the level of treatment they need. Drug rehab scholarships can help people seeking treatment for drug abuse without adding the burden of whipping out their savings.
This guide is for educating active addicts and their families on the basics of rehab scholarships, how to find them, and get them.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are Drug Rehab Scholarships?
- 2 Who Should Consider Scholarships?
- 3 Where to Find Drug Rehab Scholarships
- 4 How to Get Scholarships for Rehab for Drug Addiction
- 5 Other Ways to Pay for Treatment
- 6 Taking Action Today
What Are Drug Rehab Scholarships?
Some facilities offer some scholarships to patients that need addiction help. These are usually done through a submission and vetting process. Corporations and non-profit foundations also award these scholarships. Usually, scholarships go to those who don’t have other options for payment assistance, are underinsured, or need treatment not covered by health insurance.
Who Provides the Scholarships?
Individual facilities provide the most drug rehab scholarships available. These are available on a case-by-case basis for those who meet the criteria. Scholarships by facilities are more challenging to find because patients must reach out to the facilities individually. You can find many rehab facilities that provide substance use disorder scholarships through the Mental Health Services Administration as part of their substance abuse prevention initiatives.
There are, however, non-profit organizations that provide drug rehab scholarships. These organizations partner with treatment centers to donate a certain number of openings to their treatment programs. Some popular scholarship organizations include:
Types of Treatments Covered
Overall, there are scholarships or grants available for both residential treatment and outpatient settings. The specifics to what type of treatments are covered vary from facility to facility. However, most scholarships won’t cover “luxury rehab” or “optional therapies,” such as massage, acupuncture, and other alternative therapies.
Overall, most addiction treatments covered by scholarships include:
- Drug and alcohol medical detox
- Inpatient rehabilitation
- Outpatient care
- Dual diagnosis programs
- Aftercare recovery programs
- Medication-assisted treatments
Who Should Consider Scholarships?
A lot of people can highly benefit from drug rehab scholarships. However, not everyone will qualify. Keep in mind these guidelines to know who should consider applying for a scholarship:
- Those who’ve exhausted all other options. You have to demonstrate that you’ve tried other payment assistance options like Medicaid, getting money from family and friends, and reaching out to other non-profit organizations.
- Those without insurance or who are underinsured. While insurance can help cover some of the cost of rehab, sometimes it isn’t enough. If you can prove a gap between the cost of recovery and what your insurance company will cover, a scholarship might help cover the difference.
- Those with special needs insurance won’t cover. All insurance policies are different, and sometimes they might not cover everything. For example, someone with a dual diagnosis treatment might need a specific treatment plan that their insurance won’t cover. A scholarship can help provide assistance to pay for this portion of treatment.
- Anyone genuinely committed to recovery. If you or someone you know is not 100% percent ready to recover, a scholarship isn’t the right option. If they chose to leave treatment before, they’d have to pay for the treatment scholarship received.
Where to Find Drug Rehab Scholarships
Finding a scholarship can take some time. Sometimes it can take months to find a scholarship opportunity, which is why it’s recommended to keep options wide open. A quick way to find drug rehab scholarships is to apply to the 10,000 Beds program. This organization works with multiple organizations across the United States and might be your best option for getting a scholarship. Basically, once you apply, they do most of the heavy lifting for you and let you know whenever there’s an opening available.
Professional and Community Resource Centers
Unfortunately, people wait until they received the intervention or ended up at the hospital for an overdose to get help. However, when you receive a professional assessment, whether through intervention or at the hospital, use this resource. Addiction professionals can help you find the right information on how to apply for a rehab scholarship. They can also help you with the application process. Additionally, you might want to check in community centers. Churches, social workers, and charity organizations will often help you find the right addiction treatment.
How to Get Scholarships for Rehab for Drug Addiction
Each rehab center has its set of requirements and protocols to apply for a scholarship. However, some steps and tips can help you stand out by communicating your intention to change and get better. In addition, the better prepared you are for the interviews, and to fill the requirements, the better your chances.
Organize Your Finances
Get ready to gather as much financial information as possible. You’re likely going to need proof of any income, expenses, bank accounts, and more. You will also need to show evidence that you’ve asked friends and family for help, looked into government programs or funds, and requested support from community organizations without luck. Having proof of your commitment to getting help will make your application stand out from the rest.
If possible, reach out to a professional that can assess your need to get treatment. It’s easier to get approved for a scholarship when they already have drafted your treatment plan. Otherwise, be ready to explain the specifics of your addiction and why you think a specific treatment facility can help you overcome your addiction. You should also be open to speaking to any of their therapists or counselors who might want to assess to see if you qualify for their programs.
Demonstrate Your Commitment
Although it’s possible to get a scholarship after relapse, you still need to prove you’re serious about getting better. Be prepared to share personal experiences of how addiction has negatively impacted your life and your family. Consider discussing your long-term goals after completing treatment.
You are not alone. You deserve help.
Lighthouse Recovery Institute is an industry leader in addiction treatment. Our team of top addiction experts specialize in dual diagnosis treatment and are committed to ensuring that our patients are treated individually. Call us today to start your recovery journey.
Other Ways to Pay for Treatment
If your first attempts to get a drug rehab scholarship are unsuccessful, there are still other ways to pay for rehab. Please, don’t let financial restraints get in your way or a loved one getting help. Here are some ways you can pay for addiction treatment:
- Through Insurance: A quick phone call can help you figure out if your insurance plan will cover your addiction treatment. So many families are shocked to learn that mental health and substance abuse, and mental health disorders are covered through insurance. Even when it’s not the full treatment cost, it will help ease the financial burden.
- Ask for Financing: Sometimes, insurance isn’t an option. In this case, financing options can help people pay for treatment in more accomodating quotes. Instead of paying for your rehab treatment all at once, you can choose financing options to help you focus on treatment.
- Consider State-Funded Rehab Centers: These are organizations that use government money distributed by the state to support people recovering from drug and alcohol addiction. It gives low-income individuals or those with no insurance access to detox, treatment programs, and recovery support services.
- Choosing Outpatient: If you need intensive treatment but can’t afford it, don’t look the other way. Consider an outpatient treatment at least. These treatment settings can help you start treatment, and they’re often a fraction of the cost of full-time care.
Taking Action Today
At Lighthouse Recovery Institute, we can help you learn more about addiction treatment and help you find the best option for your needs. We will also explain and look at your different financial assistance options to help you afford the rehab program you need to start your recovery journey. Our staff members will be here to guide and support you through every step of the process to help you reach your recovery goals.