When people choose to seek treatment for their substance use disorder, many questions come to mind. Common questions relate to checking into a drug addiction treatment facility or not. People always worry about how to pay for treatment or if their insurance covers addiction treatment.
One insurance company that offers addiction treatment coverage is Cigna, often through its Employee Assistance Program. Here’s everything you need to know about Cigna’s Employee Assistance Program benefits.
Table of Contents
What Are Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the National Survey of Drug Use and Health, addiction affects close to 164.8 million people in the United States who reported substance use in the past month. In general, 1 in 5 people aged 12 and older reported using illicit drugs in the past. Also, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration reports that in 2018, close to 47.6 million adults aged 18 and older struggle with a co-occurring mental health illness.
The purpose of employee assistance programs is to address complex body issues affecting mental and emotional well-being, including alcohol and drug abuse, psychological disorders, and more. Hopefully, these programs, which request employees drug tests, can help employers keep their workplace drug-free.
However, the perks also benefit employees. Through these voluntary and confidential programs, counseling and referrals to addiction treatment centers happen without your employer knowing about it. Additionally, EAP programs must be entirely confidential, and someone cannot be fired for seeking treatment through these programs.
Not all companies offer insurance with EAP coverage, but working for one that does has many benefits, including:
- A safe and confidential environment to discuss addiction
- Access to assistance programs with hotlines available 24/7
- Access to support resources to address substance abuse
- Assistance reintegrating back into the workforce upon completion of treatment
Cigna Employee Assistance Program 101
Cigna’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) gives people access to licensed clinicians to help with emotional, behavioral, and other issues. From finding pet care to seeking drug and alcohol addiction treatment, EAP services can help you and anyone in your household find care.
The Cigna Behavioral Health and Employee Assistance Program aims to connect and support someone’s health. Through their behavioral health programs, they hope to help people manage health issues before they become serious. Cigna health insurance also offers a holistic and complete approach to employee’s health needs by combining behavioral, wellness, and pharmacy elements.
Some of Cigna’s behavioral health benefits include:
- Access to evidence-based clinical programs
- A national network of over 145,000 behavioral healthcare providers
- Emotional and well-being programs and tools
- Crisis and emergency support options
- Virtual counseling sessions available nationwide
- Tools to manage treatment costs and more
Mainly, when it comes to substance use disorder treatment, Cigna EAPs can be beneficial thanks to their:
- Access to complex psychiatric case management that helps providers and physicians foster appropriate care and adherence to drug therapies.
- The inclusion of narcotics therapy management uses comprehensive medical information to identify any potential inappropriate use of narcotics through tools and resources that encourage better control.
- A comprehensive online resource provides easy access to behavioral awareness information, podcasts, articles, and more.
Understanding Drug Use and Health Care
The relationship between health insurance and drug addiction is relatively new. It wasn’t until the late 80s that drug rehab centers started accepting insurance. For decades, addiction treatment centers operated as service-fee operations, only cash payments, which limited access to many people struggling with substance use disorder.
After Obamacare, healthcare coverage changed how insurance companies saw mental illness and substance abuse, categorizing them as essential health benefits. Once this happened, insurance plans had to offer some form of addiction and mental health coverage. Not to mention, it lifted the denial of coverage for any preexisting condition, including drug addiction.
Perhaps the most significant change in drug addiction treatment coverage was establishing parity for substance use disorders. Mostly, the scope, treatment, care management, and cost of addiction treatments can’t be more restrictive than for any other ailment.
Drug Addiction Treatment Options
Those struggling with substance use disorder have many treatment options to help with their illness. At Lighthouse Recovery Institute, we don’t believe in cookie-cutter programs. Instead, we offer personalized and comprehensive treatment programs that integrate evidence-based behavioral therapies and other structures to help people fight their drug or alcohol addiction.
Drug Rehab Programs
- Detox Programs: Generally, most addiction treatments start with a detox program to help users guard off the use of substances in a safe and controlled environment.
- Partial Hospitalization Programs: The detox process can be uncomfortable and, on occasions dangerous, a PHP setting allows patients to have clinical supervision during this process.
- Intensive Outpatient Programs: A flexible treatment program that includes in-clinic visits but doesn’t require patients to check into a facility is often recommended for family or work responsibilities.
- Dual Diagnosis Treatment: Often, addiction isn’t the only diagnosis; most people with substance use disorder struggle with chronic pain or mental illnesses that require treatment.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment: To reduce the side effects and struggles of withdrawal, medication-assisted treatments (MAT) help addicts walk towards recovery under supervision.
- Long-Term Recovery Assistance: The recovery journey is never-ending; long-term assistance is crucial to maintain sobriety in the long run.
Addiction Treatment Services
However, treatments for drugs don’t end when someone leaves a facility or addresses the addict alone. The different treatment services that take part are just as essential.
- Family Therapy: Often, family members with substance abuse struggles are broken and need the right guidance to regain trust and rebuild relationships.
- Life Skills Development: Addicts, in particular, can sometimes have a hard time re-entering society; building life skills helps them develop the abilities they need to reintegrate seamlessly.
- Relapse Prevention: Relapse triggers will be all over; relapse prevention skills are paramount for long-term sobriety.
- Group Therapy: Most patients enter some group therapy setting after treatment, whether a 12-step program or any other group meeting therapy offer that best suits their needs.
Does My Insurance Cover Drug Addiction Treatment?
Most likely. However, each insurance policy is unique and has different coverage levels. The most secure and quickest way to learn if your Cigna insurance covers drug rehab is by reaching out to the treatment center.
To find out if your insurance covers drug and alcohol addiction treatment, contact us today and speak with our admission specialists to verify your coverage.
Get Help Today
If you or someone you love struggles with addiction, please know treatment is more accessible than you believe. Please discuss with your HR department to learn more about their Cigna Employee Assistance Program coverage. Remember that these conversations are legally confidential, and they cannot cost you your job.
Most employees are generally surprised to learn the flexibility and assistance companies offer to help people get addiction treatment. Your well-being is their priority, and through EAPs coverage, they can help you find the right treatment plan.
At Lighthouse Recovery Institute, our addiction therapists will analyze your unique case and build a treatment program that suits your needs. Thanks to our comprehensive and personalized approach to addiction treatment, we can minimize the risk of relapse and help people like you or your loved one find long-term sobriety. Don’t wait another day; addiction treatment is available and can save your life. Start your journey to recovery today.