Over the past few years Southern Florida has become known as the “capital of recovery”. Drug rehabs are in abundance, as are halfway and sober living houses to provide the next step after treatment. Are you thinking of making the trip to SoFlo? Let this article help guide you in your decision-making; the faster you can get on the road to recovery, the better.
Why is Southern Florida the Capital?
- Location, location, location. No matter where you are coming from, a change of scenery will always benefit your recovery. The palm trees, ocean air and sunny skies don’t hurt either.
- They know the recovery game down here. From hospitals to rehabs to intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) the methods are tried and true and there is an abundance of facilities for you to choose from depending on your needs.
- Be careful of scams. With the good comes the bad. Where there is money to be made, there will be those looking for a quick buck and because of that a number of scams have been popping up – beware of insurance gimmicks and flop houses – if word is out that a place is mistreating their patients or drug abuse is happening behind closed doors, run away, far away. Do your research.
- Sober living is completely accepted. It is completely normal to meet someone who says they are in recovery, and if you tell someone you are, they will likely treat it as normally as if you told them the sky was blue. It’s nice to not have to keep that side of you a secret, we all have a past.
- Halfway houses can be nice. There are many options for men’s and women’s sober living, and many of they aren’t bad. Single rooms, pools, dog-friendly accommodations – you name it you can find it! In the northeast they get a rep for housing ex-cons and fresh-out-of-jail losers, in South Florida, most of them are legitimately for people looking to better their lives.
- Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOPs) can be just what you need to keep you on course. You can choose from a variety of different options depending on your schedule and what fits your needs to make sure you are getting the help you need.
- AA/NA Meetings are in abundance. Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous are all over the place, and all the time, so you are nearly guaranteed to find a meeting to suit your needs. From church meetings to bonfire-on-the-beach-meetings – there is something for everyone.
[BLUECTA title=”Addiction is not a choice!”]866-205-3108[/BLUECTA]
These are just a few of the things to think about before making the commitment to come down to Florida. Whether you end up staying just for drug rehab, for a halfway house, or even end up moving your life down here, a change of scenery will always be good for your recovery, and Southern Florida is truly becoming the most popular place to get healthy!